Thursday Thoughts: How I Relax




I failed to sleep well last night. After it was announced that Britain are to join the airstrikes, I couldn't help but feel infuriated with the Government and worried for our future. I'm not going to get into it all on here, but I have always been strongly against violence of any kind and you can't fight fire with fire. It really shook my nerves. Along with that, I have exams coming up, an essay deadline TOMORROW and a few other mega stressful things which are really waking my anxiety up. Not great when I have to focus on revision and finishing a 2500 word essay. 



So, what do you do when you just can't get a grip? You know, when you are too stressed or anxious to even form a train of thought? You stop and breathe. 

Deep breathing as been proven to calm nerves. It slows down the heart rate which has been increased by the panic which then cuts your oxygen intake. So stop. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Just concentrate on your breathing. Listen to your lungs expanding and exhaling. 

I also root myself into the ground. An early meditation technique my Nana taught me. Imagine roots coming out of your feet and sinking to the ground. When I get anxious, it feels like there's tons of bats flapping around my head, mixing all my thoughts up and like, a giant cloud of fog just gets in there. 'Putting my roots down' enforces the notion to feel settled, strong and with the deep breathing, focused. It gives me a chance to feel at ease and focus on what I need to do. Today, it was, not to get worked up about one thing, but to focus to finishing my essay. Because I need to pass it to carry on my degree. Then I can be a fabulous success! *hair flick*


Yoga and Tai-Chi are actually the best! I don't do it often or for very long, but sometimes, for about five minutes when I'm really freaking out, I will do some moves, like the warrior stance just so my focus is on something else rather than my worries. The breathing and good strong posture are crucial for this so it re-blances my core and energy, allowing my mind to connect to with my body as one. 

Have a go, see how you feel and let me know how you relax when the going gets tough. 



No comments