Eating Edinburgh: The Merkat Bar

In the West End of Edinburgh is The Merkat Bar. They have recently updated their menu and a few of the Edinburgh Bloggers were invited to have a little taster of their new dishes. 

Now let me be clear, this is not your average "pub grub". Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare your taste buds. 


Details

Now, I'm not a huge "foodie", I'm not experimental with my food at all but this evening allowed me to try a heap of new food. There was a selection of starters that included breaded risotto balls with goats cheese, venison scotch eggs, prawn and chorizo bruchetta and pan seared scallops. I loved the risotto balls, they were so tasty and full of flavour. I tried the scallops for the first time, mostly in respect to Gordon Ramsay because he always bangs on about them. They weren't my favourite but I'm not a huge fishy fish fan. But they were beautifully presented. 


The photo above includes the mains, the gorgeous hamburger which I just loved. It was cooked freshly there and is served with tomato, onions and appleswiss (is that what it's called) cheese. There was also sea bass-which I liked-with a mash potato that kind of had a tarter sauce taste, roasted duck with asparagus and seafood linguini (apparently it's not pasta, but it looks like pasta to me)  and for dessert was the chocolate and orange mouse. 

So, I know I'm a picky eater, but that dessert, 


Seriously, so good. There was a sort of battle of spoons as we were sharing it. It was rich, creamy and better than the Tesco value ones I'm use to. 

The pub itself is so cute. It had purple walls with a brick effect wallpaper and is just so nice. They used old bottles as candle holders which I might start doing myself.

I'm definitely going to start going there more often. Thank you to the staff for being so welcoming and inviting us to try your food out. I'll be seeing you soon! 

Until next time... 

No comments